Monday, June 7, 2010

End of an Era

As the month of May is at a close, and the one month anniversary of my graduation is coming up tomorrow, I am still unemployed. I suppose it's just not in the stars for me? I've applied to over 35 places, ranging from bank teller to barista to a cast member at Disneyland. Still after almost a month of searching, there has been no "yes we want you!"

I'm beginning to take this as a good sign and making the most of it. Using this free time, this last summer, to enjoy myself. I've picked up a few books to pass the time and to do a little soul searching (thanks to Paulo Coelho) and to get back into my exercise routine. Boo for my usual go-to, running! Hello to fun things I can do with people I love; like hiking, biking, and swimming and taking in nature. I'm still running, but it's not taking over my life anymore haha

This past friday I went back to LMU to see old faces and it was a very bittersweet feeling. My Onecard didn't open the familiar doors and there were new faces where my friend's faces should have been. I still absolutely loved seeing my mentors, and talking to friends about how weird post-grad life is (basically I told them to stay in school as long as possible so they're not unemployed haha) and I actually stepped onto Sunken Gardens and took it all in. Literally in the 3 years that I was at LMU, I don't think I actually just stood on the middle of the beautiful grass and looked at my surroundings as well as I did on Friday. I have walked up, down, across, and through Sunken Gardens thousands of times in my years there and have thought how lucky I was, but this time, I really truly felt it. It was a strange moment because all the other times I had that blessing, I remembered I could have it again tomorrow or next week. I realized on Friday that it was actually over. New people are being put into their respective new jobs, and even the incoming freshman started their orientation today!

My reign at LMU has come to a close, and I am thankful for the time I have had. My growth there is somewhat hilarious. Going in as a pre-med athletic training major to finally finding my passion within service which prompted me to switch my major to sociology with hopes to become a social worker. How funny to think I wanted to be a doctor. The thought of blood is nauseating, though the processes of the body is fascinating. I would have never survived! haha

So now, though I am currently unemployed, I really am not jobless. I have a job waiting for me in North Carolina. I am eager to start and meet my housemates, my new co-workers, meet the women I will be working with at Urban Ministries, and begin my own new era. How wonderful it will be!

If you want to support me in my journey with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, I would GREATLY appreciate it! All the JVs are asked to fundraise for the organization so we can continue to help the communities we will be living and working in and I have committed to fundraising $500. Any donation is one that will make my heart soar. Just click on the "Send Me to Serve" on the right. Please pray for my journey!

"The best way to find yourself is by losing yourself in the service of others." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment