Tuesday, August 17, 2010

short and sweet tea

Imagine a gloomy, rainy sky on the East Coast. Hundreds of green trees spread out on miles of land. Gorgeous, right? Like straight out of The Notebook or something crazy.

Now imagine a California girl expecting the what seems to be gloomy and raining sky, walk out and start immediately SWEATING and sticking to the clothes she is wearing. That was me. Definitely not what I was expecting since the only time I had been on the East Coast was in the freezing cold. If you're not laughing, then I assure you, this was definitely funny and you have my permission to laugh. I was welcomed by a wonderful friend and treated to my first meal in Baltimore. The city was very historical-like and had this old-time feel. I loved it! I snapped tons of pictures to make myself look like a tourist.

Afterwards, I met up with my JVCers and we traveled to the hills of Pennsylvania. The bus ride there passed at least 10 corn fields and cemeteries which assured me that I was definitely closer to Kansas. There was even a BP gas station. When I laughed because people were actually getting their gas from there I am pretty positive that I was the only one who thought it was funny. Haha. West Coast thing maybe?

We pulled up to these huge homes and grass fields that smelled like oregano... which we later found out actually was oregano so we smelled great all week haha! It rained quite a bit while at orientation and yet it was hot as hell. I was definitely not used to it. The sun was hiding from me. It's like it was mad at me for leaving California or something!

Our orientation/retreat was more than I had ever expected... I am still toying with my thoughts on little things, but I can definitely say that choosing JVC has been one of the greater decisions of my life. Literally sitting in the talks just looking around at all the JVs that will be in the East was amazing- and then I got to talk to them and realize we have the same interests and passions which made my heart lift up so high that it was visible! Haha I know this is corny, but I don't think I have ever met so many like-minded people than I did this past week. It was absolutely fabulous.

After a few days isolated in the hills of Pennsylvania without much contact to the real world, my roommates and I officially arrived in Raleigh! Our house is a typical, gorgeous, cozy home in the south. Complete with a perfect porch and rooms so colorful and bright! We were welcomed by a former JV and even our neighbors! It has already been beautiful and I can see the southern hospitality.

We are still settling in, but I already know that all those worries and doubts I had before were preparing my heart to love this experience even more. After we are all settled in, we are going to be sipping on some sweet tea vodka on our porch that the previous Raleigh community left for us.

And guess what... Today the sun came out and smiled at me! I took the bright-blue, clear sky and warm heat as a sign that everthing is placed where it needs to be, and hey, just like Vega said it,
"the sun shines everywhere, so go and see where it shines."

I'm doing just that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment