My mind is going from one fear to the next, and despite my knowing that I'm on the right path, I can't seem to shake the fears away. I'm sure I'm not the only JV having this anxiety, but I feel like I'm in such a weird place. Haven't I been grieving and saying goodbye all summer? All of senior year really? I remember hearing, "It's our last week of college we have to!" or merely just knowing that some of those who I graduated with I will probably never see again... Haven't I been saying goodbye all year?
So why is it that the month leading up to my departure, the month where I am supposed to have such excitement, such a passion for what I'm doing... why is this past month the one where I've said goodbye far too many times than I would ever have hoped? And why is it that though I can keep my cool with most everyone, right now I am on the verge of tears at the thought of saying goodbye to one more person?
Though I know for sure this is my calling (even if I have fears, I've never been more sure of anything), I find it funny that people tell me I'm such a strong woman to be able to go to an entirely new city, to live with strangers, and work for the poor. I do not feel strong, well, at least not right now.
Thankfully, I have the greatest mentor in the world who I can share my fears, even if briefly. The advice was more than I needed to hear and couldn't be more fitting:
We have to trust the decisions we made when we were in a good place, even more so when we're in a tough place. And I'm not gonna lie, you're in a tough place. - BPB
So here I am, in this tough place of grieving mixed with anticipation... and I am going to trust myself. I am going to keep my eyes and heart open and truly believe that being strong doesn't always mean feeling strong. I know there will be an ironic combination of love and fear in this coming year, but that's what life is about, right? Uncertainty?

LOVE YOU SAMBO! Don't worry, everything will be just fine! I had similar feelings right before I went abroad, but you know you made the right decision to do JVC so keep your mind focused on the possibilities that lay in front of you! Your friends and family will be right here waiting when you get back!! The six will be the same, just as we have been the last 4 years that we were separated by all of our various schools. Love you to the moon! I am just a phone call, text, or email away! OR we can be pen pals!! haha!
ReplyDeleteright there w/ you sambo. it'll be awesome. i love you so much.
ReplyDeleteSamii....I feel ya completely right now. Thought moving across country wouldn't be such a big deal until I realized how great my life was here and people look at me like I'm crazy and so strong to move. It is people like you that make the world go round and that act strong when we are strong and fake it when we're weak....I got your back! I love you tons and tons and hope to see you in the EAST!
ReplyDelete