Monday, August 23, 2010

so WTF is Samii doing?

So I wrote this last night before I had access to internet and before my first day of work... but be prepared for tomorrow’s post because that will actually talk about my first day on the job... I’m still trying to process it all...

..... I realized that I haven’t exactly explained what I’m actually doing in JVC or what the program actually is! Haha! So here is what I'm actually doing in the dirrrty south ;)

WHAT IS THE JESUIT VOLUNTEER CORPS?

So basically, the short way of explaining JVC, is that is consists of volunteers across the country that work for social justice. There are four main pillars, or values that each of us volunteers work towards. Community, Social Justice, Simple Living, and Spirituality. We all live together, work at the non-profits, get paid only $100 a month, and grow together as a community as we explore our faith. I’m pretty sure this last value is going to be my hardest- well this and simple living. ;) There are different regions of JVC, and I am in the East. There are 15 different communities in the East, and I am living in Raleigh! Others are Portland, Baltimore, Harlem, Syracuse, Bridgeport (CT), Newark, D.C., Philly, Hartford, Boston, Brooklyn, and Camden.

WHAT ARE MY ROOMMATES AND I DOING?

I’m living with 4 other girls, and we all work at different non-profits. We got to visit each other’s worksites this past week which is super cool! I noticed that a lot of the clients my roommates are going to be working with also go to the nonprofit that I am working at, which is totally amazing because that means we help a ton of people!

I’m primarily a case manager at a women’s shelter, yet I also work a few days at the walk-in crisis center that is for men, women, and families. It’s going to be AWESOME and I cannot wait to start. It’s very different than what I’m used to since I have only essentially worked with homeless men, and the women I have worked with are extremely strong and I absolutely have to gain their trust rather than just bat my eyelashes and get my way haha ;) I will definitely get to see what I like, what I don’t like, what I’m good at, and (gasp!) what I’m not good at.

Brittney “Button” is working at an Alliance for Aids, and she’s already talking about how she wants to make their food pantry more nutritional for their clients. Which I am soooo stoked about. I’ve done some work with AIDS/HIV as well, and I am very much looking forward to the talks we are going to have at the dinner table. She and I share the same room which fits us both really well.... She’s my 6 pound gerbil. She LOOOOOVES old men. Just kidding, she’s right next to me and telling me not to say this ;) suuuucka. She hates spiders too so you all know i'm totally going to be pranking her. Kidding?

My roommate Hanna (she told me to call her Harriet in this blog hahaha I’m not going to be doing that haha)- she is working with children and families who are homeless, so I am excited to swap stories with her and see how the different experiences pan out. She is absolutely great with kids and since we haven’t seen any in a few days she has like empty nest syndrome or something haha. She’s great.

Kate is from the west coast... or oregon (haha) is working with immigrants at the Legal Aid. She basically is the advocate for most of the farm workers out here. She’s awesome. She absolutely LOVES Farmer’s Markets, and we walked to one the other day... it was blistering hot. Haha but we got a great deal on some peaches (typical down in the south haha) and it’s not too far from us. It’s going to be really interesting because apparently North Carolina is in like the top 5 states for the high rate of immigrants. Side note: she is the only one that hears all the comments I make under my breath and either laughs and me or gives me a look of horror. Hahaha it’s hillarious.

My roomie from the Bronx is MaryAnn... She is amazing. She doesn’t think she has an accent and it is so cute. She’s got a new position out here, working as an advocate with people with disabilities (so basically Heather would be going to her hahahahaha). It seems super cool and she’s lucky because the rest of us have huge shoes to fill, while her non-profit is in their first year having a JV. She just get’s to set the bar super high for the next year’s JV. Muahaha sucks for whoever gets that job next year because she's the best. I am also totally going to have to learn some of her dance moves because that girl has got it going onnnnnn. Hahaha

I’m totally jazzed about living with these wonderful women and learning from them. We are almost at a call for desperate measures with our lack of testosterone in the house. Between calling the other houses (eh ehm BMore) to thinking balding 40 year old handymen are cute... I think it’s safe to say that we may be going to happy hour before the weekend begins (as i’m drinking a glass (bottle?) of wine... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment